Aug 09, 2020
The General Education Requirements are the same for each degree program in the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Freshman Admission Requirements
- ACT score of 21 or above or SAT score 1000 or above
- Overall High School GPA 3.00 or above
- Tuskegee University’s application for admission
- High school transcript that shows satisfactory performance in English, mathematics, science, and social science
Requirements for Admission of Transfer Students and Upperclassmen
- A transcript of all work completed at the college level
- Transfer GPA of a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 is required in the general studies, professional studies, and teaching fields. Coursework completed at other universities/colleges will be considered for teacher education transfer credits.
- A grade of “C” or higher is required in English.
- “D” grades will NOT be considered for transfer credits.
Admission to the Professional Teacher Education Program: Procedures and Requirements
- Students must complete and submit a word processed application.
- A Curriculum Balance Sheet that includes grades in all courses completed in the program must be checked and signed by the advisor, the applicant, and the Department Chair. The Curriculum Balance sheet must clearly verify the following:
- Completion of 60 or more General Studies courses based upon the approved curriculum requirements with an overall university GPA of 2.75 in the General Studies Courses.
- GPA of 2.75 is required in the Professional Studies Courses.
- A minimum grade GPA of 2.75 or higher is required in the Teaching Field courses.
- Satisfactory scores on both parts of the Tuskegee University English Proficiency Examination required.
- A two-page word process, double-spaced, and edited autobiography required.
- Two letters of recommendations required from a University professor.
- Health certification signed by a licensed physician.
- Passing scores on ETS PRAXIS Core Tests.
A student will be counseled out of the teacher education program or denied admission to the Professional Teacher Education Program if:
- The student has earned during one semester two grades of “F” or “D” when “C” is the minimum passing grade in specific subjects listed as essential for the chosen field of specialization.
- The student has earned one grade of “F” or “D” when “C” is the minimum passing grade in each of two consecutive semesters in subjects listed as essential for the chosen field of specialization.
Graduation requirements are the same for all degree programs in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Satisfactory completion of a state-approved program with a minimum overall university GPA of 2.75 and 2.75 in the General Studies; 2.75 in the Teaching Field and a 2.75 GPA in Professional Studies, with no grade below a “C” in Professional Studies and in the teaching field. (All GPAs are calculated on a 4-point scale).
- Satisfactory completion of the internship with a minimum grade of “B” in both EDUC 0430 - Teaching Internship Seminar. and EDUC 0443 - Teaching Internship .
- Passing score on professional studies and teaching field assessment instruments: Comprehensive Examination: Part I (Performance Observation) and Comprehensive Examination: Part II (Portfolio Assessment).
- A passing score on the (ETS PRAXIS Core Tests and appropriate PRAXIS II Content Knowledge Tests