Dec 01, 2021
The Department of History and Political Science is committed to training students to become competent citizens at home and abroad. The department is home to faculty members whose pedigree - national and international - uniquely positions them to train the next generation of leaders with a keen understanding of the core ideas, historical and political processes, which have shaped and continue to shape societies.
- To make students aware of the major historical and political developments, around the world.
- To give students experience in reading the relevant literary sources and to acquire skills of discussing, presenting and writing about them.
- To equip students with the requisite tools and methodologies for critical thinking, inquiry, discovery, and sustained curiosity for learning, leadership, and service.
- To keep students current about the latest developments and trends in their respective disciplines
- To promote initially interdisciplinary collaboration between History and Political Science and, where possible, with other disciplines.
- To evaluate the performance of students across various criteria and measures with express aims of improving rates of retention, performance, and graduation.
- To provide students with requisite knowledge, skills and competencies in History.
- To provide various methodologies and perspectives of historiography and historical inquiry about world civilizations and historical developments.
- To engage in interdisciplinary collaboration between History and Political Science and other disciplines.
- To expose students to educational enrichment activities, programs, and practical experiences that expands opportunities for making choices about careers and life-long engagements.
- To prepare students for graduate/professional studies in History or other career fields of interest.
Political Science Objectives
- To provide students with opportunities to acquire and apply core knowledge, skills and competencies in Political Science.
- To engage students in conducting and presenting Political Science research projects based on various methodologies and perspectives.
- To engage students in interdisciplinary activities for the benefit of learning, collaborating and networking with other students.
- To assist students with identifying opportunities for educational enrichment beyond their academic work in the classroom.
- To motivate and encourage students to pursue graduate/professional programs.
- To facilitate students appreciation of an active and sustained life of intellectual and social activity.
History and Political Science Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will acquire and apply core knowledge, skills, and competencies, in History and Political Science.
- Students will be able to conduct and present history and political science research projects based on various methodologies and perspectives.
- Students will engage in interdisciplinary activities for the benefit of learning, collaborating and networking with one another.
- Students will be assisted and be able to identify opportunities for educational enrichment beyond their academic work in the classroom.
- Students will be motivated and encouraged to pursue graduate/professional program.
- Students will appreciate and embrace and active and sustained life of intellectual and social activity.