The Department offers two majors for students interested in the formal study of Music and Visual Arts.
- To provide instruction and performing experience to all students interested in broadening their understanding and enjoyment of music and arts.
- To develop their talents in music and art.
- To provide opportunities for non-majors to participate in musical and artistic activities.
- To enhance their futures by providing opportunities for artistic experiences that only the department offers.
- To help students appreciate the relevance of the Fine and Performing Arts for enhancing the quality of private and public life.
- Help the student understand and enjoy music and art through a study of basic elements, forms and styles.
- Insure that students develop a strong grasp of the languages of music and art.
- Broaden the students’ knowledge of the history of music and art and the cultural heritages existing in periods in music and art.
- Equip students with strong technical skills in performance and artistic situations with which they can compete for jobs in the music and art professions.
- Provide basic and specific opportunities for the musical and artistic development of students pursuing study in major fields other than music and art.
- Offer curricula in music and art on varies levels appropriate to the needs of the students and the university.
- Contribute to and participate actively in the cultural life of the University, area schools and the community at large.