The mission of the Department of Physical Education (Teacher Education Professional Preparation Program) is designed and organized to prepare prospective teachers to select, implement, and evaluate diverse strategies and resources to provide early childhood, elementary, middle level and secondary students with the skills and knowledge appropriate for the individual teaching field. The Department of Physical Education embraces a wide spectrum of P-12 grades in its professional preparation program and curriculum.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES FOR THE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION PROFESSIONAL PREPAR ATION PROGRAM IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION
The Department of Physical Education offers both a professional preparation program which leads to the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education and a physical education service program designed to meet the general education requirements of the University. The professional preparation curriculum is State approved as satisfying all the State of Alabama’s requirements for teacher certification.
Graduation Requirements for Physical Education Majors
- Satisfactory completion of a state-approved program with a minimum overall university GPA of 2.75 and 2.75 in General Studies; 2.75 in the Teaching Field and a 2.75 GPA in Professional Studies, with no grade below “C” in Professional Studies and in the teaching field. (All GPAs are calculated on a 4-point scale)
- Satisfactory completion of the internship with a minimum grade of “B” in both EDUC 0430, Teaching Internship Seminar, and EDUC 0443, Teaching Internship.
- A passing score on the ETS PRAXIS Core Tests and appropriate PRAXIS II Content Knowledge Test
- A passing score on the edTPA is required
- A passing score on tasks 1-3 on the edTPA are required
All University students whose physical and/or medical examination reveals conditions that prohibit participation in regular physical education classes will be assigned to PHED 0120 or PHED 0121 . A written statement from the attending physician must be presented to the Head of the Department of Physical Education. All advisors and physical education are required to refer and report all known such cases to the Head of the Department Physical Education immediately for further arrangements to meet the University’s physical education requirements.