Jan 24, 2019  
2018-2019 Bulletin 
  
2018-2019 Bulletin

Special Components



The Carver Research Foundation

The Carver Research Foundation of Tuskegee University was incorporated by Dr. George Washington Carver and his associates in 1940. The initial funds of incorporation were the personal savings of Dr. Carver, a total amount in excess of $60,000. Since that time it has carried out the general wishes and objectives of the founder: to advance knowledge through research in agriculture, the natural sciences and related areas as well as other pure and applied sciences. 

The George Washington Carver Agricultural Experiment Station

The search for new knowledge at Tuskegee University began very soon after its inception. In the early 1890’s, Booker T. Washington, with the help of local and state governments, put together a plan to make research at Tuskegee University a reality. The result of the plan was legislation passed by the Alabama State Legislature on February 15, 1897, to establish the Tuskegee State Experiment Station on the campus.

George Washington Carver became the first director of the Tuskegee Experiment Station. He held this position from 1897 until 1943. During his tenure, his work in chemistry and applied research established for him, and for Tuskegee University, international fame and recognition as a major contribution to the growth and development of the nation.

Agricultural research continues to be a major endeavor at Tuskegee University. It has been greatly expanded in both programs and in personnel. Since the time of Carver, Tuskegee University has received significant financial support annually for research from the United States Government by way of Public Laws 89-106 (1972-1977) and 95-113 (1978-present), administered nationally by the Cooperative State Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

In addition to the search for new knowledge, significant benefits of the experiment station and its programs include support for scientists, training of students at the graduate level, and opportunities for exposure of undergraduate students to invaluable learning experiences which would not be available otherwise.

The Tuskegee University Center For Continuing Education

Service through Extension and Continuing Education ranks with instruction and research as a critical element of the overall mission of Tuskegee University. The Tuskegee University Kellogg Executive Conference Center, which opened in 1994, provides the University with a facility focused on Continuing Education. This Conference Center enables the University to provide new programs using modern computer and multimedia technologies to take advantage of new instructional approaches and methodologies including distance learning. The Tuskegee University Kellogg Conference Center serves as the hub of an expanded educational outreach network that initiates, co-sponsors or hosts on-and off-campus programs. These programs focus on the individual family and community needs of the 12 Black Belt counties in Alabama.

The major areas of Continuing Education include:

  • lifelong learning skills for undergraduate students
  • prevocational adult education
  • rural families in transition
  • leadership and professional education and preventive health measures and physical fitness

The Tuskegee University Kellogg Conference Center

The Tuskegee University Kellogg Conference Center was funded primarily by the W. K. Kellogg Foundation and it consists of:

  • Seventeen thousand square feet of meeting space with a ballroom capable of seating 500 at a sit-down dinner and a 350 seat auditorium.
  • Ten additional meeting rooms with removable air-walls and a dedicated facility for teleconferencing.
  • A full service audio-visual media center with satellite broadcasting and receiving capabilities, production studio with sound stage, all interfaced and interconnected with Tuskegee University computers and campus communications.

The Center houses the Hospitality Management Program and it serves as the primary laboratory for the program.

The Cooperative Extension Program

The concept of University Extension, at Tuskegee University, evolved out of the very founding activities of this institution when Booker T. Washington, upon arrival in 1881, moved into the neighboring communities to gather information on the needs of the people as a prerequisite to the formulation of the Tuskegee program of study.

Subsequently, the extension program became the functional mechanism through which the institutional resources including professional, scientific, and technological, were made available beyond the campus borders.

Following the passage of the Smith Lever Act of 1914, the concept of Cooperative Extension brought together state, federal, and private support to reach beyond the immediate area to state, national, and international communities with a central focus on reaching the unreached and extending the University’s knowledge base to the people and black belt counties of Alabama.

The programs are implemented through local county agents. Areas of concentration include: family and youth development, leadership and volunteer development, agriculture, forestry environmental quality and natural resources, nutrition, food and health, rural and community economic development.

The Tuskegee Univeristy Libraries

Tuskegee University Libraries consist of the main library and departmental libraries in the College of Veterinary Medicine, Nursing and Allied Health and the College of Engineering, Architecture and Physical Sciences. The main library, built in 1932, is a fireproof, three-story structure named in honor of the late Hollis Burke Frissell, second principal of Hampton Institute. In 2001, the building was renovated to reflect technological advances and the name was changed to the Ford Motor Company Library/Learning Resource Center. The building now includes two state-of-the-art computer laboratories: one which serves the bibliographic instruction and training needs of faculty, staff and students; the other laboratory offers 42 workstations for general student access. Also included are a mini-computer-lab, study rooms, study carrels, and a viewing room equipped with DVD/VCRs, scanners and printers. Throughout the library, patrons using laptops equipped with wireless Ethernet cards can access the Internet using the wireless networking capability.

Tuskegee University Libraries serve as the nucleus of information retrieval for faculty, staff, and students. The mission is to acquire, organize, and provide access to materials and technologies needed for educational programs of the University in teaching, research, and service. The collection in all libraries is comprised of approximately 310,000 volumes, including bound journals; current serial subscriptions total more than 1,500.

The Tuskegee University Libraries website www.tuskegee.edu/libraries provides access to the library’s holdings, Internet and the numerous general and subject databases subscribed to by the library.

The Sirsi/Dynix Unicorn System serves as the library’s management system. Among the unique features of the Unicorn system is the ability to check account status, renew books online and make online requests.

The Washington/Rare Book Rooms house a collection of primary and secondary resources of black materials. These include a sizable collection of abolitionist literature, publications by and about the Presidents of Tuskegee University and George Washington Carver. An extensive collection of pamphlets dealing with racial issues can also be found in the collection.

The library has been a federal depository since 1907 and has a collection of more than 40,000 select government documents.

Tuskegee Univeristy Global Office (TUGO)

The Tuskegee University Global Office (formerly called the Office of International Programs, Tuskegee University’s historic involvement in international programs dates from 1899, when a team of agricultural experts was sent from Tuskegee to improve cotton production in the former German African colony of Togoland.

Through the years, various academic units developed and administered educational, technical and research projects resulting in long-standing ties being established in Africa, the Caribbean, the Middle Eas and Asia. But today, TUGO serves as the central unit responsible for coordinating all international ventures which include international research for development; technical assistance in overseas projects, long-term degree and short-term non-degree training; and development of linkages with developing country institutions of higher learning and research.

The office is headed by the Director of TUGO, supported by an experienced and well traveled staff that offers both expertise and understanding in helping international students with immigration matters and environmental adaptation.

Using state-of-the-art computerization, TUGO implements and coordinates overseas projects, assists in the development of proposals; provides international travel assistance as related to projects and programs in TUGO, for faculty, staff and students; hosts and participates in conferences on international development and spearheads the development of a global outlook at Tuskegee University.

TUGO addresses itself to certain needs and concerns of the total international student population. A primary responsibility is to render services to meet the requirements of Immigration and Naturalization Service, governmental agencies, and sponsoring agencies.

Application for Foreign Exchange

All students requiring the institutional statement of educational expenses for Exchange Control Permit should request this form from TUGO.

Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services

The Immigration Office that serves international students at Tuskegee University is located in Atlanta, GA. The mailing address and telephone number are:

United States Department of Justice
Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
77 Forsyth Street, Room G85
Atlanta, GA 30303
1-800-375-5283

Important Immigration Documents:

It is important that international students become knowledgeable of documents that are essential in maintaining legal status while matriculating in the US.

Passport A travel document issued by the government of the student showing the bearer’s identity, origin and nationality. A passport should be revalidated as necessary to keep it valid at least six months beyond a person’s intended stay.
   
Visa A stamp placed in the passport or travel document by the U. S. Consular Office abroad showing the period of validity for staying in the U. S.

Visa Types Most Commonly Used at Tuskegee University:

F-1 Student
F-2 Spouse or child of the F-1 student
J-1 Exchange visitor
J-2 Spouse or child of the J-1 student
   
Form I-94 A small 3X5” white form usually stapled in the passport. It is known as the Arrival-Departure Record and provides evidence of actions by BCIS.
   
Form I-20 This document is to be retained by the student at all times and not surrendered upon temporary departure from the United Stated, as it will be needed for re-entry after temporary absence. It will carry an admission number which will be unique to the individual student and belong to that student permanently, and which must be recorded and maintained by schools as part of their record keeping requirements. The admission number will be the key to BCIS computerized files on the student and must be used in all communications with and transactions by BCIS.
   
DS/2019 Certificate of Eligibility of Exchange Visitor J-1 status form issued under an Exchange Visitors Program indicating the term of appointment, length of stay, program definition and financial arrangement. It is also necessary for temporary visits outside of the US for the J-1 student.
   
Form I-538 Application for nonimmigrant student (F-1) for extension of stay or permission to accept or continue employment or practical training.
   
Form 1-102 Application for replacement of lost 1-94.
   
Form 1-539 Application for change of nonimmigrant status and for extension of stay. 
   
Form 1-34 Affidavit of support.

Students should confer with the International Student Advisor for information regarding securing and/or completion of the above form.

Social Security Card

Each student is encouraged to secure a social security card as needed for business purposes. Requests for cards are made at the Gomillion Community Development Service Center, South Main Street in the City of Tuskegee on the third Tuesday of each month from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon.

All students must take along the passport with the Form 1-94 attached. In addition, J-1 students should have the DS/2019 form and F-1 students should have the I-20 form with them.

Maintenance of Status

Students must maintain a full-time program of study. On the undergraduate level, twelve credit hours per term or its equivalent as defined by the district director, or whatever lesser number of credit hours might be necessary on the student’s final term in a program of study. On the graduate level, the must meet the requirement as defined by the university and defined by the school officials.